Have you ever wondered why some people have managed to achieve great success in their life and always seem happy, while you’re stuck wondering what could have been? Have you also wondered if there is some secret sauce for success and happiness that they are aware of, but which somehow seems to be always outside of your reach? But what you probably haven’t considered is that maybe these people are where they are in life because of the good personality traits which they have developed and are displaying to the world on a regular basis. This essentially boils down to their personality and how they are perceived by others.
Some links on this page may be affiliate links and we may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these. You can read our full affiliate disclosure here.
The Importance of Good Character
- Enhance your chances of being successful
- Foster happy and healthy relationships
- Boost your self-esteem and confidence
- Establish you as a role model and encourage others to be positively influenced by you
It should therefore be no surprise to you that having good personality traits are extremely important if you want to enjoy success and happiness in your life.
Step 1 in Developing Good Personality Traits – Know what they are
Good personality traits promote good behavior and lead to a person making “good” choices and avoiding “bad” ones. The very first step in developing these traits involves identifying what they are. Accordingly, here are 25 personality traits that you can work on developing if you want the very best out of life:
- Integrity – You adhere to strong moral and ethical principles.
- Honesty – You are sincere, frank, and truthful in all your relationships and interactions.
- Self-disciplined – You can overcome desires or feelings in order to follow the best course of action.
- Perseverance – You continue with a course of action, belief, or purpose despite it being difficult or uncomfortable.
- Respectfulness – You treat others with courtesy, dignity, and kindness.
- Responsibility – You keep your commitments and proactively create or accept accountability for your behavior and choices.
- Thoroughness – You are willing to put in extra effort to ensure things are done completely and correctly.
- Humility – You express and experience gratitude for what you have.
- Kindness – You are considerate, helpful, and benevolent to others.
- Reliability – You consistently follow through on commitments, actions, and decisions, and do what you say you will.
- Compassion – You feel deep sympathy and pity for the suffering and misfortune of others and have a desire to do something to alleviate their circumstances.
- Fairness – You use discernment, compassion, and integrity to make decisions and take actions based on what you consider the ultimate best course or outcome for all involved.
- Encouraging – You offer hope, strength, and positive reinforcement to others.
- Forgiveness – You make a conscious and intentional decision to let go of resentment and anger felt towards someone for a wrong they committed against you.
- Authenticity – You are your true self around others.
- Generosity – You offer your time and effort without the expectation of something in return.
- Loyalty – You are faithful and devoted in your trusted relationships.
- Politeness – You apply basic good manners, common courtesies, and etiquette to all people you encounter.
- Lovingness – You show those you love how deeply you care about them through your words, actions, and expressions.
- Optimism – You interpret life events, people, and situations from a positive perspective.
- Courageousness – You carry on with a commitment, plan, or decision despite fear.
- Forgiving – You can let go of grudges and resentment.
- Ambitiousness – You possess a keen desire to achieve your goals.
- Considerate – You think of other people’s well-being as well as your own.
Next Steps in Developing Good Personality Traits – Take Action
Now that you know what the essential character traits are, here’s how you can incorporate them into your daily life:
Next Step #1: Define your core values
Determine the values which are integral to your professional and personal life. These will dictate the principles which will become the foundation of your priorities, choices, actions, and behaviors.
Next Step #2: Practice the habits
Select no less than 3 personality traits to work on developing over several weeks. As time goes by, you can select other traits to develop. Make a note of the actions that you will take or the behaviors that you define as reflecting these traits and implement them in your daily life and interactions. It is also good practice to create reminders to help you to apply these qualities. For example, wearing a rubber band on your wrist could act as a great reminder.
Next Step #3: Immerse yourself with people of good character
Surround yourself with people who reflect the good personality traits that you want to embrace. These persons will inspire and motivate you to build these traits in yourself. Simultaneously, try to avoid people who have a weak character and make bad decisions.
Next Step #4: Take calculated risks
Take action towards goals or values that involve some level of risk. When you face the possibility of failure and challenge yourself for success, you will become mentally and emotionally stronger and more committed to your principles.
Next Step #5: Stretch yourself by creating high standards and big goals for yourself
Expect the best of yourself and constantly work towards that, despite any setbacks and occasional failures that you may encounter. Every stretch builds your self-confidence and acts as proof that your positive traits are getting stronger.
Next Step #6: Commit to self-improvement
Accept that building your character is a life-long endeavor. By remaining committed to personal growth and learning about yourself, your character will naturally improve.
Now you have the basic tools which will allow you to develop good personality traits and get amazing success and happiness just as I promised. It’s also good practice to occasionally revisit this post to see if there is any need for improvement and tweak your development plan accordingly.
Please feel free to leave a comment below to let me know what you think of my post or how you are progressing.
Here’s to your success!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.