In your journey to become the very best version of yourself, you’ve no doubt thought about getting in the best physical shape of your life and finally losing that troublesome belly fat. But you’ve probably relied on excuses such as not having enough time or being too tired, to get away from doing it. Well, if you’re forced to work from home or practice social distancing because of all the fear and uncertainty surrounding the coronavirus, you may as well use some of that isolation to get in superb physical shape. Below, I have provided you with 6 flat belly exercises which you can start doing today and which don’t require any equipment. They are sure to melt away stubborn belly fat and reveal that toned mid-section that you’ve always wanted.
Some links on this page may be affiliate links and we may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these. You can read our full affiliate disclosure here.
Before we get started
Losing belly fat may seem like one of the hardest things to do on earth. I’m not going to kid you, that’s probably true, but it’s certainly not impossible. In fact, with a disciplined approach and the right mindset, you can achieve your flat belly goals in a relatively short period of time.
The alternative to a flat belly is having dangerous fat surrounding your internal organs and making it more difficult for them to function properly. This puts you at a higher risk for getting Type 2 diabetes, cancer and heart disease, and I’m sure you don’t want this to happen to you.
With no further ado, my recommended exercises for shedding that belly fat and showing those nice abs are:
1. Jumping Jacks
Jumping jacks are simple exercises which are often underestimated due to their simplicity. What you may not realize is that jumping jacks work every muscle of your body. Performing them at a high intensity can also help you to lose belly fat much more quickly.
- Begin by standing straight and keeping your arms at your side and your feet together.
- Jump while bringing your feet apart and bringing your hands over your head while moving them in an arching motion.
- Return to the starting position by jumping and bringing your feet back together.
- Aim to do at least 20 jumping jacks, three times per week.
2. Abdominal Crunches
Abdominal crunches can not only help to shed belly fat, they can also strengthen your lower back and reduce lower back pain. To do this exercise, you must:
- Lie on your back with the knees bent and about hip-width apart.
- Place your hands behind your head, cradling it. Make sure that your ears are in line with your spine and that your elbows remain wide open as this will give maximum benefits.
- Take a deep breath and engage your core muscles (upper and lower abdominal muscles) as you lift your torso, including your shoulders, while keeping your head back without pulling on your neck.
- Exhale and go back to the starting position in a controlled manner.
- Perform 20 repetitions.
3. Bicycle Abdominal Exercises
The bicycle abdominal exercise is considered by many people as the best abdominal exercise which you can perform. This is because it gives not only the usual ab muscles a workout but also the deep abs and the oblique muscles. To do this exercise:
- Lie on your back, bringing one knee up towards your chest with the other one fully extended.
- Cradle the head and keep your elbows nice and wide open.
- Bring the extended knee into your chest while straightening the other leg and turning your upper body and elbow toward the bent knee. This is essentially shifting from one leg to the other as if you’re riding a bicycle.
- Reach through the tips of your toes and lengthen the core (abdominals, hip, back, shoulder, and chest).
- Perform 20 repetitions, 10 on either side
4. Leg Lifts
There are a variety of leg lift exercises which can be done to effectively work out your Legs and abs and get well on your way to a more toned and stronger body. The most basic version may be done as follows:
- Lie on your back, palms facing down and tucked just underneath your hips.
- While engaging your core muscles, lift your hips and legs up keeping them straight.
- Slowly lower the legs, stopping right before they touch the ground, and ensuring that you do not arch your back off the ground.
- Bring the legs back up to the starting position.
- Perform 10 – 12 repetitions.
- Aim to do 3 sets.
There are many variations of the plank, and for each one, proper form is crucial. Performing a basic plank will help strengthen and tone your entire body making it easier to lose belly fat as well as fat all over your body. The exercise is all about stability and strength.
- Begin by going on your forearms, placing your elbows directly beneath your shoulders and keeping your hands in a nice extension.
- Lift your entire body so that it is parallel to the floor, drawing your belly in towards your spine and keeping your back straight.
- Crunch the abdominal muscles. For this exercise to be most effective, you should rotate the pelvis under, thereby allowing yourself to activate and involve your glutes a lot more while crunching down. This creates a nice, solid connection between your hip, the glutes and the front abdominal wall.
- Hold this position for at least 30 seconds and work up to holding it for a minute or longer as you increase your strength. Maintain your breathing.
Burpees, or squat thrusts, are full body exercises which are used in both strength training and aerobic workouts. They are regarded as one of the best ways to lose belly fat faster than any other exercise.
- Begin by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Bend your knees to a squat position – place your hands on the floor – and jump back to a plank position.
- Bring your feet back by jumping towards your hands and stand up tall or do a plyometric jump.
- Repeat at least 10 times.
Boost your Flat Belly Exercise Efforts
Performing the right flat belly exercises is one thing, but if you want to get truly amazing results in the shortest amount of time, then you must complement those exercises with some wise healthy lifestyle choices. Here are a few major result boosters that you’ll thank me for later:
- Drink plenty of water. Water is good for you, full stop!
- Try to lose body fat from other areas of your body, and not just your belly.
- Try to burn more calories than you eat. One pound of body fat is equal to 3,500 calories. Therefore, if you were to reduce your calorie intake by 500 calories per day for a whole week (7 days), you would be able to lose one pound of fat.
- Add strength training or weightlifting to your exercise program. This can help you to burn even more calories.
- Get proper nutrition. This involves consuming less sugar and highly processed foods, and instead enjoying more healthy fats such as fatty fish, nuts, avocado, and olive oil.
- Don’t skip on high quality proteins. They support lean muscle tissue. You should therefore try to have them at every meal.
- Don’t drink too much alcohol. You may be packing on more calories and more sugars than you care to do. Excess alcohol is also not good for your liver.
- Try to reduce your stress levels and avoid the urge to eat comfort food or junk food to combat stress.
- Get enough sleep. It is recommended that adults should aim to get at least 7 hours of shut eye every night.
If you regularly perform the aforementioned flat belly exercises and adopt some of my recommended lifestyle changes above, you will surely reap success with losing that stubborn belly fat!
One More Thing
If you want to get amazing weight loss results in a short amount of time, then I highly recommend that you check out the Cinderella Solution. This weight loss program is designed solely for women to obtain rapid, yet safe, weight loss. It offers a nutritional diet and a series of exercises which reactivate the female metabolism, helping women to burn fat almost effortlessly without the need for counting calories or going on an extremely strict diet. Feel free to check out my Cinderella Solution product review at the link below:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.