Smoothies can be an unbelievably delicious and easy way for you to grab nutrients while on the go. Oftentimes they are loaded with lots of sugar and fat, which means that they are not always the healthiest thing for you to consume. Fortunately for you, there are several homemade smoothie recipes which are full of nutrients and can even help you to shed some unwanted pounds. Yes, that’s right! Healthy smoothies for weight loss really do exist!
By choosing the right ingredients for your smoothies, ingredients that help aid digestion, burn fat, decrease inflammation, and so much more, you can create a weight loss smoothie that will not have you starving for something to eat in an hour’s time.
Some links on this page may be affiliate links and we may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these. You can read our full affiliate disclosure here.
What Really Are Smoothies?
Smoothies are drinks which are made from pureed raw fruit and/or vegetables, typically using a blender. They often have a liquid base such as water, fruit juice, milk, or yogurt.
The raw fruits or vegetables give smoothies dietary fiber which make them thicker alternatives to fruit juice.
You can sip your way to a healthier breakfast by blending your own smoothie each morning. Healthy smoothies can get your day started off right by packing in nutrient-rich fruit and vegetables, as well as protein-filled yogurt and milk for an energy boost that will keep you going until lunch time. And unlike what you might get from store-bought options, home-made smoothies prioritize actual produce instead of the juices, sorbets and sweeteners used in stores, that can add tons of sugar to your cup of smoothie.
You may be wondering if sticking to smoothies alone can help you to lose weight? Not necessarily. Homemade smoothie recipes can give your body specific nutrients that will help you to keep up during workouts, maintain your energy levels, and make sure all that hard work pays off. Also, with superfoods like spinach and kale, and sweet ingredients like strawberries, mango, and pineapple, homemade smoothies can sustain you for a few hours, and have you ready to conquer whatever the day has in store for you.
Smoothie Preparation Tips
When using fruit to make your smoothie, frozen fruit is best to use. It blends up thicker than fresh fruit and gives you a nice, cold smoothie to enjoy after blending. If you do not have any frozen fruit, you should freeze your fresh fruit for 30 minutes before blending or add about 1 cup of ice and blend until it is smooth. If you have no frozen components at all, your smoothie won’t taste chilly and refreshing!
When using bananas, they should be peeled, broken into quarters and ideally frozen at least 12 hours before using. You can allow the bananas to get very ripe, so that the flavors and sugar are fully developed before you freeze them. Whenever you have extra ripe bananas, try to peel them, break them into quarters and then freeze them in a freezer bag so that you have them on hand to make smoothies.
To thicken smoothies, peanut butter, almond butter, unsweetened Greek yogurt, or vanilla yogurt are all great options. About 1/2 cup of any one of these is an ideal portion size. To get thinner smoothies, you can either lessen the amount of thickener or skip it all together.
Almond milk is great for an additional nutty flavor, but coconut milk pairs well with a tropical smoothie and gives a richer, creamier flavor. Whole milk or fruit juice also work very well. 1 1/4 cup of liquid usually makes the perfect consistency, unless you prefer a thinner smoothie.
Spinach or kale can provide additional nutrition, while flax seeds add omega-3s to your smoothie. Flavors such as fresh mint, vanilla extract, cinnamon, or honey will provide even more enhancements.
To make sure nothing goes to waste, you should store your ingredients in freezer-safe bags or containers for up to nine months. Smoothies can separate within a few hours in the fridge, so you should mix everything up when you’re ready to drink.
If you need to prepare drinks ahead of time, adding a teaspoon of lemon juice before refrigerating can prevent oxidation.
(And if you’re looking for a complete life transformation over the next 3 weeks by simply drinking smoothies, check out The Smoothie Diet 21-Day Program here)
Ready to make your own smoothie? Of all the healthy smoothie options out there, these are my 10 favorite recipes which can be ready to drink in just a few minutes…..
Top 10 Healthy Smoothies for Weight Loss
1. Basic Blueberry Smoothie
This is a creamy, nutritious, and delicious smoothie which is best enjoyed cold. It will keep you satisfied for hours and offers 10 grams of protein and fiber per serving.
The blueberries are ideal for weight loss because they are naturally sweet but low in fat and calories. Scientific research has also shown that eating berries earlier in the day can prevent you from overindulging in the hours right afterwards.
- 1 ½ cups to 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk or water
- 1 ½ cups frozen blueberries
- 1 ½ cup frozen bananas
- ¼ cup almond butter
- (optional) ¼ cup old-fashioned oats and/or 2 tablespoons flax seed
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend on ‘low’ until the blender gains traction, then increase to the highest speed as soon as possible.
- Stop to scrape down the sides or add more milk if necessary.
Once the smoothie is completely smooth and creamy, divide into 2 cups and go ahead and enjoy that refreshing drink!
2. Strawberry Citrus and Ginger Smoothie
This is a fast and fruity treat, which can crush your sweet cravings, and is perfect for breakfast, dessert, or anytime in between.
Strawberries are super low-calorie and loaded with vitamin C, fiber, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. They boost the nutrition component of the smoothie and also provides the pretty pink color.
The ginger suppresses your appetite, helps to stimulate digestion, and decreases inflammation, all of which can aide in weight loss.
Orange juice and bananas are added to provide loads of sweetness to your smoothie.
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 banana
- 1 cube fresh ginger root peeled
- 2 cups frozen strawberries.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender in the order listed above.
- Blend until smooth.
3. Mango Chia Seed Smoothie
This is not only a vegan recipe, but also a gluten free, and dairy free recipe.
It is super easy to make, refreshing, and cool.
The chia seeds are chock full of fiber, which will keep you feeling fuller for longer.
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 medium bananas, sliced and frozen
- 2 cups frozen mango chunks
- Add chia seeds and ½ cup of almond milk to a small bowl or cup.
- Give the mixture a good whisk, until thoroughly combined.
- Cover and let set in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, add bananas and the remaining 1 cup of almond milk to a blender.
- Blend until smooth, while scraping down the sides of the blender as required.
- Add the mango chunks
- Blend until smooth.
- Take the chia seed mixture out of the refrigerator (it should have a thick, gel-like consistency by now).
- Give the chia seed mixture another good whisk.
- Using a rubber spatula or spoon, scrape the chia seed mixture out of the bowl or cup and into the blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into 2 cups and enjoy immediately!
4. Peanut Banana Cinnamon Smoothie
The banana in this tasty shake contributes healthy carbs and fiber and can help to reduce bloating and control your appetite.
The cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. It also adds a burst of spice that brightens this smoothie.
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk (or skim milk)
- 1 large banana (peeled and cut into chunks or use a previously frozen banana)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (preferably natural)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (more can be added for sprinkling afterwards)
- (Optional) 1 teaspoon honey or sugar
- 3 ice cubes
- Place the milk, banana, peanut butter, cinnamon, and honey (if used) into a blender
- Puree until smooth
- Add the ice cubes and pulse just until the ice is crushed.
- Pour into a medium glass or 2 small glasses
- Sprinkle with additional cinnamon.
Check out ‘The Smoothie Diet Program’ to learn about other healthy smoothie recipes.
5. Triple Berry Smoothie
Combining bananas and berries gives a perfect smoothie which beats bloating, reduces inflammation, and helps fill you up.
Most importantly…. it tastes really good.
- 1 banana
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup frozen blackberries
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 1/4 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Divide into 2 cups and top with blackberries, if desired.
6. Matcha Green Tea Smoothie
This smoothie is great for breakfast, doubling as your caffeine shot for the day as well as your super healthful infusion of fruit and veggie goodness to power you up for the day ahead!
Green tea, with all its antioxidant properties, is essential to helping burn fat and improve exercise performance. The natural caffeine in green tea will also give you energy and not have you crashing later in the day!
Matcha green tea generally adds a beautiful flavor and richness to smoothies. If you want more of a caffeine boost, however, simply add more matcha green tea powder to the smoothie recipe.
Spinach is packed with nutrients needed to support weight loss, like protein and fiber.
- 1 large mango (fresh or frozen)
- 2 frozen bananas
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 2 tsp. matcha green tea powder
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- Add the coconut milk to your blender, followed by the matcha green tea powder and spinach
- Add the mango and frozen bananas
- Blend until creamy and smooth.
7. Kale Pineapple Smoothie
The ingredients in this smoothie are filled with antioxidants, valuable vitamins, and minerals. You will also get plenty of fiber and protein, without overdoing it on fruit or calories.
The pineapple, banana, and honey make this healthy breakfast smoothie both sweet and creamy.
The kale’s flavor is mild. It is therefore a good way to get some kale even if you do not enjoy eating it.
- 2 cups lightly packed chopped kale leaves
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 frozen medium banana
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup frozen pineapple pieces
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 to 3 teaspoons of honey
- Using a regular blender, start by blending the kale and almond milk until the kale is as smooth as possible.
- Add the remaining ingredients and continue blending until smooth.
- If you would like a thinner smoothie, add some more almond milk. For a thicker smoothie, add a few ice cubes.
8. Tropical Carrot Smoothie
This combination of tropical fruits makes a great breakfast smoothie, or even a great afternoon snack. You will also love the fact that you are taking in some vegetables without even realizing it!
- 2 1/4 cups carrot juice
- 1 1/2 cups frozen pineapple
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mango
- 1–2 kiwi fruits, peeled and sliced
- Pour the carrot juice into a blender.
- Add the pineapple, mango, and kiwi
- Process until smooth.
- Serve immediately.
9. Pumpkin Spice Smoothie
This thick, creamy, and filling smoothie is perfect for breakfast or a snack in the fall or winter months.
Canned pumpkin has been found to help keep blood pressure in check and may reduce the risk of diabetes and obesity. This therefore makes it a perfect base ingredient for a delicious weight loss smoothie.
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- ½ cup ice
- Puree all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
10. Chocolate-Covered Cherry Smoothie
This is an amazing, tasty, filling, and nutritious smoothie which can provide you with lots of energy.
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen unsweetened dark sweet cherries
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon dark chocolate chunks
The protein shake helps to curb your appetite and preserves lean muscle mass.
The banana is a solid source of vitamin B6, which your body needs to better absorb nutrients.
The dark cherries and unsweetened cocoa have antioxidants that fight inflammation.
The chia seeds are full of omega-3 fats.
- Blend the first 6 ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
- Add the chia seeds and dark chocolate, pulsing just a few times to keep the crunch.
Pour and serve
If you’ve become growingly frustrated, trying to lose weight with little or no success, maybe you should give a healthy smoothie diet a try. After all, I’ve just shown you that there is such a thing as healthy smoothies for weight loss.
Let’s face it. Excess weight is bad for your health. It increases your risk of developing life changing illnesses such as cancer, diabetes, or heart disease. It can kill your self-esteem, and it also robs you of valuable time to play and be active with your family.
As you’ve seen in this article, there are several healthy smoothie recipes which you can make for yourself and live a much healthier lifestyle.
Adding healthy green smoothies into your diet is not only quick and easy, but it’s also an all-natural way for you to improve your health and lose weight.
There are lots of delicious recipes that are quick and easy to make and are quite inexpensive. Whether you are just trying to lose 5 pounds, 10 pounds, or even more, I encourage you to check out the Smoothie Diet Program. This program can be life changing and will highlight just how effective detox smoothies for weight loss can be.
Please leave a comment below to let me know what you’ve though of this article.