I recently spent ages looking for the best fitness watches for women as a gift to my wife for her to use during one of her usual workout sessions. I must admit that I found it extremely difficult to decide on which one to get!
There are many options available on the market, and the prices tend to vary a lot. That is what made the decision so hard for me to make. However, after spending a considerable amount of time mulling over which option was the right option for her, I decided to put together my collection of the best fitness watches for women that are currently available.
Let’s get right into it!
Some links on this page may be affiliate links and we may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these. You can read our full affiliate disclosure here.
MY TOP PICK:
If you are looking for the best overall fitness watch for women, then I recommend the Fitbit Charge 4 because of its affordability, its built-in GPS, heart rate and sleep tracking functionalities, as well as its attractive look and comfortable feel. To me, it’s great value for your money!
Why Invest in Fitness Watches for Women?
Firstly, let’s clear the air on something. People tend to use the terms “fitness watch” and “fitness tracker” interchangeably. Although there is nothing wrong with this, it is worth noting the difference.
Fitness watches are essentially wearable fitness trackers or smartwatches which come with fitness tracking functionalities. Smartwatches and fitness trackers look and function very similarly, but there are notable differences between them. Whereas a smartwatch is built primarily to facilitate communication, a fitness tracker is built primarily for monitoring and data gathering. That being said, in this post we will use the names “fitness watches” and “fitness trackers” interchangeably.
A fitness tracker is a wearable device which can provide a variety of benefits relating to the overall tracking of physical fitness. They have become increasingly popular in recent times and are a great accessory for anyone who is into physical fitness.
Fitness trackers can provide several benefits. For example, they can be used to monitor heart rate (HR) patterns during workouts, and monitor the resting heart rate, which allows it to keep track of how much sleep you’re getting each night. You can also use a fitness tracker to count how many steps you are taking each day, along with tracking distance and calorie consumption. This explains why so many people have been searching the internet trying to determine what are the best fitness watches for women to use during their workouts.
Fitness Trackers for Women Selection Criteria
When purchasing a fitness tracker, be sure to select one that has all the features which you desire, and which fits comfortably on your hand.
The main criteria I considered when compiling my top 10 list include:
- Built-in heart rate monitor capability
- Stress level and sleep tracking capability
- App Compatibility
- Inactivity monitor/sedentary reminder
- Battery Life
- Water resistance
Now that you know which criteria I focused on, let’s have a look at my top 10 list.
The Top 10
1. Fitbit Versa 2
- Amazon Alexa built-in which allows you to get quick access to news and information, check the weather, set timers and alarms, and control your smart home devices and more using your voice.
- Water resistance. It is swim proof which is an added benefit for women looking to swim while wearing their fitness watches.
- A workout intensity map which can be used after outdoor exercise to check your heart rate zones throughout your exercise route.
- Real-time pace and distance using Phone GPS.
- 24/7 heart rate tracking to better track calorie burn, see resting heart rate trends and get real-time guidance to optimize your workouts.
- Sleep Tracking of light, deep, and rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. Based on your heart rate, time asleep and restlessness, sleep score helps you better understand your sleep quality each night.
- A high-resolution color touchscreen
- Several days battery life (depending on usage)
2. Fitbit Charge 4
- Real-time pace and distance using built-in GPS
- Notification of how long you’ve been active throughout the day and reminders for you to fit in a few extra steps when you’ve been sitting for too long.
- A workout intensity map which can be used after outdoor exercise to check your heart rate zones throughout your route.
- 24/7 heart rate tracking to better track calorie burn, see your resting heart rate trends and get real-time guidance to optimize your workouts.
- Sleep Tracking technology which allows you to understand your rest with automatic sleep tracking and silent alarms on your wrist, plus bedtime reminders and tips.
- Water resistance up to 50 meters.
- Several days battery life (depending on usage).
3. Garmin Vivosmart HRThe Garmin Vivosmart HR has a slim design which makes it look more like a bracelet rather than a Smartphone, which makes it a good choice for women who have slimmer wrists. Features include:
- An optical HR sensor with the ability to monitor your heart rate at rest or during a workout and rebroadcast the stats to other devices.
- GPS tracking of distance and pace while mapping out your run or walk.
- An always-on display which shows your stats, even in sunlight.
- Sleek band design which makes it comfortable to wear all day.
4. Garmin Vivoactive 4SThe Garmin Vivoactive 4S is a smaller-sized GPS smartwatch with features such as:
- Tracking of energy levels, Pulse Ox (oxygen level in your blood), respiration, menstrual cycle, stress, sleep, estimated heart, and hydration.
- Over 20 preloaded GPS and indoor sports apps, including yoga, running, and swimming.
- Easy download of songs including playlists from Spotify and Amazon music (may require a premium subscription) and connect with headphones (sold separately) for phone-free listening.
- Personalization with thousands of free watch faces, apps and widgets from the Connect IQ store
- Garmin Pay contactless payment solution (not available in all countries and payment networks) which lets you pay for purchases with your watch.
5. Apple Watch Series 5The Apple Watch Series 5 can be customized in many ways by choosing a case and pairing any band in the Apple Watch Studio. Features include:
- Built-in Siri technology.
- Apple Pay availability
- An always-on retina display which allows you to always see the time and your watch face.
- 50 meter water resistance
- Cellular phone capability which allows you to call from the trail, text from the surf or even stream music from the slopes.
- App Store available on your wrist.
- Activity rings which track your progress and inspire you to sit less, move more and exercise every day. It also allows you to compete with friends in challenges.
- An electrocardiogram (ECG) app which provides a quick read on your heart rate and checks your heart rhythm.
- A noise app which alerts you when decibels rise to levels that can impact your hearing.
- A cycle tracking app which makes it easy to log information about your menstrual cycle.
- Compass and ground technology
- Personalization with more than a hundred watch faces and infinite ways to personalize them.
6. Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity WristbandThe Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Wristband is a versatile, feature-packed fitness tracker which provides a simple, but effective way to track steps, sleep, and calories. Features include:
- An easy-to-wear, slim, comfortable wristband.
- Bluetooth syncing, and Fitbit’s platform gives plenty ways to analyze your stats.
- Silent wake alarm, which ensures that it awakens you and not your partner.
- LED lights which show how your day is stacking up against your goal.
7. Garmin Vivomove HRThe Garmin Vivomove HR Sport smartwatch comes with many features such as:
- A crystal touchscreen with a discreet display. Precision hands show the time and dynamically move away when you swipe through your messages.
- 24/7 heart rate monitoring
- A display of steps, calories, distance, heart rate and intensity minutes
- Wellness monitoring tools such as all-day stress tracking and a relaxation timer.
- Smart features such as auto uploads, smart notifications, and music controls.
- Battery life of up to 5 days in smart mode or up to 2 weeks in watch mode.
8. Fitbit IonicThe Fitbit Ionic fits comfortably on your wrist and is particularly light when compared to more modern smart watches. Features include:
- Tracking of runs, swims, rides, workouts, all day activity and sleep. The built in GPS tracks pace, distance, and routes.
- Pure pulse continuous heart rate tracking.
- 4+ day battery life (varies with use & other factors).
- Dynamic personalized workouts with step by step coaching.
- Storage and playback of over 300 songs, with playlist downloads from Pandora.
- Access to your favorite apps for sports, weather & more.
- A built-in NFC chip which allows you to make payments on the go.
9. Fitbit Alta HR Fitness TrackerThe Fitbit Alta HR Fitness Tracker has a slim and stylish design and provides all-day fitness and heart rate tracking. Other features include:
- Tracking of steps, distance, calories burned and active minutes.
- A bright OLED tap display for time and stats.
- Automatic tracking of how long and how well you sleep.
- Call, text and calendar notifications at a glance when the phone is nearby
- Silent, vibrating alarm.
- 7-day battery life.
10. Garmin Vivofit 4The Garmin Vivofit 4 is a neat looking watch with a slender look and feel. It comes with features such as:
- An always-on customizable color display.
- A move IQ® feature which automatically detects activity and classifies activity type on Garmin Connect.
- Tracking of steps, distance, calories burned and sleep.
- Tracking of periods of inactivity. A colored move bar fills up to alert you if you’ve been stationary for too long.
- 1+ year battery life.
Well that’s my list of best fitness watches women should consider before making a purchase. I hope you’ve found it helpful. If you think I left out one that should be on there, please let me know in the comments section below and I will check it out.