It can be really frustrating when trying to select a fitness watch without first knowing what would even make a fitness watch a good choice to begin with. And, nowadays, because there are so many selections to choose from, its become extremely difficult to make a decision and stick to it. I had the exact same problem when I was looking for fitness watches for my wife and I, but I was finally able to make a decision after researching all the bells and whistles. In this post, I will provide a list of my top 10 best fitness watches for men based on solid research and personal experience.
Whether you’re looking for a fitness watch for yourself or for someone else, this list is sure to have at least one that you’ll love. The ultimate choice depends on personal preferences of course, but I’m sure at least one of them will tickle your fancy! If you’re more interested in looking at fitness watches for women, then check out my related post here.
Let’s get right into it!
Most Affordable Pick:
If you want to just cut to the chase and select an affordably priced fitness watch for men which carries many attractive features, then I would highly recommend the Garmin Forerunner 35. Its affordability, lightweight, and GPS tracking and heart rate monitoring capability provide very good value for your money.
Why Invest in Fitness Watches for Men?
Technology has provided access to more detailed data than ever before, directly on our wrists in the form of fitness watches. In fact, fitness watches are almost as common today as headphones are. This should come as no surprise given that fitness watches provide a variety of benefits relating to the overall tracking of your health and physical fitness. They allow you to easily track your physical exercise stats, daily movements, and personal habits right from your wrist.
If you’re into running, jogging, or cycling, a fitness watch can be set to give you a notification at the end of every mile, which might just be the mental motivation you need to keep pushing forward. If you’re into surfing, you may like the idea that some fitness watches can even track over 230 beach tides around the world.
Fitness watches can be used to monitor heart rate (HR) patterns during workouts, and monitor the resting heart rate, which allow you to keep track of how much sleep you’re getting each night. You can also use a fitness watch to count how many steps you are taking each day, along with tracking distance and calorie consumption.
Best Fitness Watches for Men Selection Criteria
Men generally want a fitness watch that looks so good that they’ll want to wear it regularly. However, features are equally if not more important.
When purchasing a fitness watch, be sure to choose one that has all the features which you desire, and which looks and fits comfortably on your wrist.
The main criteria I considered when compiling my top 10 list include:
- Built-in heart rate monitor: A heart rate monitor can help with increasing your number of heart beats per minute, which is key to shedding weight.
- Built-in GPS: A built-in navigation system helps with accurate reporting of pace and distance.
- Stress level and sleep tracking capability: This is an especially useful feature for people who live very stressful lives and/or have sleep disorders.
- App Compatibility: Mobile apps can help you to compare your fitness and health data over time.
- Inactivity monitor/sedentary reminder: This can help to keep you on track with your fitness goals.
- Attractiveness: If your fitness watch looks stylish, you can attract lots of attention from the nice look and feel of your watch. The importance you place on attractiveness depends however on whether you’re looking to wear your fitness watch all of the time, or just when you’re working out.
- Long Battery Life: A long battery life will keep your fitness watch going and going and going! Something that lasts three to five days should be customary, however, the more features a fitness watch has, the more battery life it uses, and the more you’ll need to charge it.
- Water resistant: Its nice not to have to worry about going for a swim or taking a shower with your watch on.
Now that you know which criteria I focused on, let’s have a look at my top 10 list.
The Top 10
1. Garmin Fenix 6 Pro
This is a premium multisport GPS Watch, featuring mapping, music, grade-adjusted pace guidance and pulse ox sensors.
- Has a rugged, sophisticated design that features an always-on 1.3” sunlight-readable display.
- Supports advanced sleep monitoring and altitude acclimation.
- Allows you to navigate the outdoors with preloaded TOPO maps, and ski maps.
- Supports Garmin Pay contactless payments.
- Good battery performance: up to 14 days in smartwatch mode, 10 hours in GPS and music mode, 28 days in expedition GPS activity mode, and up to 48 days in battery saver watch mode.
2. Polar FT7 Heart Rate Monitor
The Polar FT7 Heart Rate Monitor fitness watch includes an H1 coded transmitter that is worn around your chest to monitor your heart rate and send ECG accurate heart rate signals to the training computer.
- Has a large, easy to read backlit screen.
- Provides data transfer and website-based training.
- Includes a coded heart rate transmitter.
- Features smart coaching.
- Displays a workout summary.
- Records average and maximum heart rate.
- Water resistant up to 98.4 feet.
3. Apple Watch Series 5
The Apple Watch Series 5 is a very customizable watch with features such as:
- Built-in Siri technology.
- App Store availability.
- An electrocardiogram (ECG) app which provides a quick read on your heart rate and checks your heart rhythm.
- A noise app which alerts you when decibels rise to levels that can impact your hearing.
- Cellular phone capability.
- Water resistance up to 50 meters.
- Apple Pay capability.
- An always-on retina display which allows you to always see the time and your watch face.
- Activity rings which track your progress and inspire you to sit less, move more and exercise every day.
- Compass and ground technology.
- Personalization of your watch with more than a hundred watch faces and infinite ways to personalize them.
4. Polar M430 GPS Running Watch
This is an advanced sports watch for runners who want more.
- Features an integrated GPS which tracks speed, distance, pace and routes.
- 24/7 activity tracking allows you to track your daily activity, including steps, calories and sleep with the guidance to help you reach your activity goal.
- Includes an optical heart rate monitor which provides continuous, accurate heart rate monitoring without the need for a chest strap.
- Includes Smart coaching tools.
- Has multiple GPS recording options for extended battery life and is capable of up to 30 hours of training time.
- Facilitates connection via Bluetooth Smart to see notifications from your mobile phone directly on your fitness watch screen.
5. Nike TomTom GPS Sports Watch
This water-resistant Nikeplus.com Sports watch features TomTom GPS for accurate speed and distance information, indoors or outdoors, even if the GPS signal gets interrupted.
- Tracks your time, distance, pace, heart rate (with optional sensor), and calories burned.
- View your mapped route with pace data/changes in elevation on Nikeplus.com.
- A rechargeable lithium polymer battery charges via USB and provides 8 hours of run time with the GPS and sensor both turned on, and up to 50 days of standby power.
- As a member of Nikeplus.com, you can join challenges and connect with friends, view/share routes, find popular running areas, and share activity on Facebook or Twitter.
6. Suunto 3 Fitness Smartwatch
The Suunto 3 is a beautifully robust fitness watch with connected features, designed for people who live an active lifestyle and who value their health and well-being. The watch helps you create a personal training plan that adapts to your fitness needs and provides real-time guidance while exercising to help you achieve the right intensity.
- Light, thin, and durable with 5 button color display.
- Waterproof (up to 30 meters).
- Long 5-day battery life with activity tracking mode on, and up to 30 hours with connected GPS training mode.
- Creates personalized training plans with built-in sport modes for running, cycling, swimming, gym, yoga and more.
- Shows your fitness level and instant heart rate and has a calorie and step counter (last 7 days).
- Includes GPS tracking via mobile phone connection.
- Tracks your stress and recovery as well as your sleep duration and quality.
- Stay connected with phone calls and notifications on your watch, and share workouts to social media .
- The Suunto app allows you to plan your routes and see activity-specific heatmaps of popular routes around the world.
7. Garmin Forerunner 35
The Garmin Forerunner 35 is an easy-to-use GPS running watch, which is slim and lightweight and perfect for daily runs, training and racing.
- In-built GPS tracks how far, how fast and where you run.
- Provides an estimate of your heart rate on your wrist all day using Garmin Elevate wrist heart rate technology.
- Connected features include smart notifications, automatic uploads to Garmin Connect, live tracking and music controls (when paired with a compatible smartphone).
- All-day activity tracking provides estimates of steps, calories and intensity minutes and reminds you when to move.
- Automatically uploads your data to Garmin Connect, a free online fitness community where you can join challenges, receive insights and share your progress as you meet your goals.
- Includes a rechargeable lithium ion battery.
8. Polar Vantage M Fitness Watch
The Polar Vantage M fitness watch is a long-distance running watch and biking activity tracker combined which lets you push your limits using data driven insight and next generation optical heart rate technology.
- The ultra-long battery life lasts for up to 30 hours of training time.
- The heart rate monitor redefines the gold standard in optical heart rate accuracy by combining the latest in bio-impedance electrodes and optical sensors.
- Cardio load, muscle load and perceived load are separated. The Polar Training Load Pro also provides a look into how your training affects your body.
- The watch is waterproof.
- You can capture key metrics like swimming stroke and pace, and even pair with your favorite compatible cycling accessory.
- Customizable fitness band options allow you to tailor your watch with replaceable wrist bands of multiple colors.
9. Garmin Venu
The Garmin Venu GPS smartwatch allows you to spend more time doing the activities you love due to the availability of on-screen, animated cardio, strength, yoga and Pilates workouts right on your wrist, and a broad range of all-day health monitoring features.
- Features a beautiful, bright AMOLED display
- Up to five-day battery life in smartwatch mode, and up to six hours in GPS and music mode
- Health monitoring features keep track of your energy levels, respiration, stress, sleep, estimated heart rate and more.
- Easily download songs to your watch, including playlists from Spotify, or Amazon music.
- Includes more than 20 preloaded GPS and indoor sports apps, including yoga, running, pool swimming and more.
- Get easy-to-follow, animated cardio, strength, yoga and Pilates workouts right on your watch screen.
- Smartphone compatibility with iPhone and Android.
- Garmin Pay contactless payment solution capability.
10. Garmin Vivoactive 3 Smartwatch
The Vivoactive 3 is a smartwatch suitable for active lifestyles.
- Includes an easy to read chroma display.
- Comes with a Side Swipe interface, which makes for quick scrolling and swift navigation of menus and widgets.
- Garmin Pay mobile payment solution is available.
- Safe for swimming and showering.
- Battery life: up to 7 days in smartwatch mode or 13 hours in GPS mode
- Personalizable with thousands of free watch faces, apps and widgets from the Connect IQ store
- More than 15 pre-loaded GPS and indoor sports apps, including yoga, running, and swimming.
- Fitness level and stress monitoring.
- Get connected features such as smart notifications and automatic uploads to Garmin Connect.
Well, there you have it! That’s my list of the top 10 best fitness watches for men. No matter how you exercise or play sports, whether it be indoors or outdoors, one of these top 10 best fitness watches will give you instant insights on how to maximize your bill of health and performance. And, if you’re simply looking for a gift for someone, I’m sure they’ll fully appreciate any one that’s included on this list.
If you think I left out any watch which deserves to be on this list, please let me know in the comments section below and I will look into it. I always love to hear from my readers.